Written by Marion Law
Updated November 11, 2020
As CBD continues to make headlines across the globe and more people realize the tremendous benefits this non-psychoactive compound derived from hemp contains, CBD isolate is becoming increasingly more popular every day.
If you’re looking for one of the most potent forms of CBD, CBD isolate powder could become your new go-to.
What exactly is CBD isolate, though? And why is it so beneficial?
Table of Contents
- What is CBD isolate?
- What is CBD isolate used for?
- How is cbd Isolate made?
- Does CBD isolate have THC?
- How to Use CBD Isolate?
- How to make CBD isolate?
- how to make cbd oil from isolate
- How to make vape juice from CBD isolate?
- Quick Guide to Our CBD isolate recommendations
- Methodology for choosing cbd isolate products
- Lazarus Naturals
- Industrial Hemp Farms
- CBD Luxe
- OC Pharm
- American Shaman
- Cheef Botanicals
- How much CBD isolate should I use?
- CBD isolate vs Full-spectrum
- How long does CBD isolate last?
- CBD legality
- CBD safety and side effects
- Final Thoughts
- Related posts
What is CBD isolate?
Cannabidiol, aka CBD, is one of the active compounds produced in the resinous flower clusters of the cannabis plant.
It can be found in both hemp and marijuana strains. Over-the-counter CBD products are produced using hemp rather than marijuana, as hemp, by law, must contain less than 0.3% THC.
Unlike THC, the most common cannabinoid found in marijuana, CBD does not cause a high. However, as with THC, CBD offers numerous health benefits.
The most common reasons people give for using CBD are to reduce stress and relieve pain. CBD is also used to treat patients that suffer from seizure disorders and an array of other conditions.
CBD isolate, the product we’re reviewing here is a purified form of CBD.
All plant matter, waxes, chlorophyll, and other plant matter contained in hemp extract are removed via a series of filtration and distillation processes, leaving 99.9% pure CBD powder.
What is CBD isolate used for?
CBD isolate takes the form of a whitish, crystalline powder that is both odorless and flavorless. Because of this, CBD powder is ideal for adding to foods, beverages, topicals preparations, and cosmetics without imparting the strong tastes and odors associated with cannabis.
Another reason some users choose CBD isolate powder is precisely that it contains no terpenes.
Terpenes are the aromatic oils that give cannabis its distinctive aromas. Scores of different terpenes are produced in cannabis and each of them has its own effects on the human body.
Moreover, some terpenes can cause allergic reactions in some patients. CBD isolate offers the opportunity to create terpene-free formulas or to add in specific terpenes for specific effects.
CBD crystals can be added to foods and oils, vaporized, and even smoked.
How is cbd Isolate made?
In order to get CBD out of hemp, it must be extracted.
CBD isolate is produced by using a bit of a more detailed extraction process of its own.
Extraction starts out like other extraction processes used to make CBD.
Once the initial extraction takes place, concentrated CBD is still full of all the plant material contained in the hemp plant itself.
In order to get this ultra-pure form of isolated CBD, a purifying process follows the actual extraction process.
This purification process includes filtration where all plant material is filtered out of the extract.
Following filtration, the extracted oil goes through what’s known as a “winterization process” that further removes any waxes or other plant materials that were still present after filtration.
What you’re left with is a fine, white powder that is 99% pure CBD.
Does CBD isolate have THC?
While most people assume CBD doesn’t contain THC, there are still trace amounts found in CBD oil that is made using the entire hemp plant.
This is known as full-spectrum CBD and can be sold legally as long as it contains less than 0.3% THC.
While this minuscule amount typically isn’t enough for people to feel any psychoactive effects, it can still show up in a person’s system, so if you know you are going to take a drug test you should keep this in mind.
CBD isolate offers all the benefits of CBD without a trace of THC.
This isolated version of CBD is excellent for anyone who is sensitive to THC or can’t have THC show up in a drug test.
Military service members, police officers, emergency first responders, and anyone else who absolutely can’t fail a drug test will find CBD offers the relief they need, without the fear of having THC in their system.
How to Use CBD Isolate?
Okay, you’ve picked up some CBD isolate.
But what exactly are you supposed to do with this tasteless, odorless, fine white powder?
The answer is…basically anything you want.
Because CBD isolate doesn’t have any taste or odor, you can use it in a variety of ways.
Some of the easiest ways to get your daily dose of CBD using a CBD isolate include:
Place it Directly Under Your Tongue
Placing CBD isolate powder directly under your tongue is, by far, the easiest way to use it.
Hold it there for about 60 seconds. The CBD will then be delivered to the bloodstream via the mucus membranes to provide the relief you desire.
CBD has no taste or odor so this shouldn’t be too uncomfortable of an experience.
Creating Your Own CBD Oil and Custom Products
You can infuse CBD isolate into a carrier oil (for example, MCT oil, grapeseed, or olive) to create your own CBD oil that is measured precisely.
This CBD oil can then be taken sublingually (placed under your tongue) for desired effects.
You can also use this CBD-infused oil to cook or bake with, but keep in mind that CBD will lose its potency at higher temperatures.
If you do want to cook with the CBD isolate oil you created, make sure you’re doing so at less than 350º Fahrenheit, ensuring you never go above 400 degrees.
CBD isolate heated any higher will lose most of its benefits.
CBD isolate can also be mixed with skin oils to create a topical that can be used on sore muscles or to ease inflammation and joint or arthritis pain. One of our favorites to use is a base of coconut oil 🙂
Mix it in Your Morning Juice or Smoothie
One of the easiest ways to use CBD isolate is by adding it to a glass of juice or a smoothie.
It will blend seamlessly with your liquid, offering an extra boost of benefits to an already healthy way to start the day.
Try it in Coffee or Tea
If juice or smoothies aren’t your things, CBD isolate powder will work just as good when mixed with your morning cup of coffee or tea.
As with adding to a juice or smoothy, just measure out the desired amount, put it in your drink and stir.
Make a CBD Sweetener
Another popular method of using CBD isolate involves making it into sort of a sweetener, though -as we mentioned above CBD should be tasteless.
To make your own CBD “sweetener”, heat up honey or agave in a double boiler (or something similar), and then mix in your CBD isolate until thoroughly dissolved.
Use this infused sweetener on top of toast, in your tea or coffee, or even by the spoonful.
Blend with your skin cream
The CBD isolate can be blended with skin creams for the treatment of skin conditions or to create a topical preparation that can be used to relieve skin conditions as well as muscles and joints pain. Coconut oil is a superb choice for this option.
How to make CBD isolate?
CBD isolate is not something that the average person can create at home. Although cannabis oils can be produced at home, reducing them down to pure CBD requires substantial industrial processes.
how to make cbd oil from isolate
A great way to save money and to ensure that the CBD oil that you are consuming is THC-free is to produce your own CBD oil. Not only is it a quick and easy process, but it gives you that DIY feeling that you’ve accomplished something.
items you will need to have on hand to make cbd oil
- 1 gram (1,000 milligrams) of CBD isolate
- MCT oil (or grapeseed or olive oil)
- a 30 ml amber dropper bottle
- a small funnel or small tool (spoon) to get the CBD isolate powder into the bottle
- syringe meant for liquids
Steps in the making cbd oil from cbd isolate
- Add 1 gram (1,000 milligrams) of CBD isolate to a 30 ml amber dropper bottle using either a funnel, that is small enough to fit into the top of the bottle, or use a small spoon to scoop and dump the isolate into the bottle.
- Use either a syringe, a measuring cup or spoon to put 20 ml of MCT oil into the amber bottle. You can use more or less MCT oil depending on your ratio preference. Using a syringe will give you a more precise amount of oil, but if you don’t care about the exact amount you can use items more readily available to you. We recommend MCT oil since it is flavorless and odorless, but feel free to use grapeseed or olive oil.
- Shake and let the bottle sit for a while to give the powder and oil time to amalgamate. You can speed this process up by placing the dropper bottle into warm water.
- Once the powder has dissolved into the oil, it will not solidify again, so your CBD oil is ready to use.
How to make vape juice from CBD isolate?
ingredients and materials you’ll need to make vape juice from CBD isolate powder.
- 500 mg CBD-isolate
- 15 ml propylene glycol
- 12 ml vegetable glycerin
- 3ml flavoring of choice (vape juice flavoring or terpenes)
- Blunt tip syringe
- Double or triple-digit scale (reads 0.01/0.001)
- 30 or 60 ml empty vape juice container (preferable amber color to protect against damaging UV rays)
Then follow these steps
- Measure 15ml of propylene glycol into the empty vape juice container using your syringe.
- Step 2: Add CBD isolate to the beaker.
- Using your scale, measure 500mg (0.5grams) of the CBD isolate. Slowly pour the powder into the container with the 15ml of PG. Gently place the cap on the glass container with the CBD isolate and PG blend.
- Mix propylene glycol and CBD isolate together. Once the cap is snugly in place, shake the container to completely dissolve the CBD isolate powder into the PG. This process may take up to a minute to totally dissolve the powder. The blend should then have a consistent liquid form with no crystal particles in it.
- Next, add the vegetable glycerin to the mixture. Measure 12 ml of VG into the mixture using the syringe. This ingredient ensures that the vape juice will provide a thicker smoke. Mix it thoroughly until nothing sticks to the sides of the container, and until the solution is unified.
- Add flavorings of your choice. Add 3ml to the existing solution. Allow the blend to stand for a while for the flavor to infuse the solution fully.
Once these steps have been completed, all you need to do is transfer the fresh vape juice into your vape tank, then store the remainder.
It is best to refrigerate this solution to extend its life. A cool dark space will also suffice to preserve its potency. It’s also wise to store your vape juice in a tinted glass bottle, away from heat, light, air, and humidity.
This recipe is for a 60/40 mix, however, the measurement of propylene glycol is up to your discretion and preferences.
If you prefer a good throat hit and want better flavor retention, a higher ratio of PG to vegetable glycerine (VG) (70/30) is advisable. Flip the ratio and use more VG if you would like a thicker smoke.
Quick Guide to Our CBD isolate recommendations
CBDistillery High Purity CBDelicious CBD Isolate Powder From Hemp
15% off discount TAKE15
Lazarus Naturals Cycling Frog CBD Isolate
10% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Industrial Hemp Farms CBD Isolate Powder
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL15
CBD Luxe CBD Isolate Powder
20% off discount CBDSCHOOL20
OC Pharm CBD Isolate Bundle
American Shaman CBD Isolate Powder
20% off discount AMERICAN20
Cheef Botanicals CBD Isolate
Methodology for choosing cbd isolate products
For individuals who are aware of the many benefits CBD offers, it is well known that not all products are created equally. For safety, efficacy, and quality it’s important to recognize the CBD brands dedicated to producing the finest products available.
When shopping for CBD products, it’s imperative to keep these non-negotiable requirements in the forefront:
REPUTABLE CBD BRANDS
It is prudent to choose CBD companies with excellent reputations, that are transparent with their process and known for their dedication to integrity and quality.
These stellar brands have an open-book policy ensuring potential customers’ ability to access information regarding their products.
The use of organically farmed, non-GMO, U.S.-grown hemp is imperative when it comes to our selection of featured brands. Our readers deserve to know about the origin and purity of CBD products.
THIRD-PARTY LAB TEST RESULTS
The products we are promoting must indicate on their labeling, third-party lab testing to provide correct information regarding cannabinoid levels.
The products must also be certified to be free of pesticides, molds, and heavy metals. To uphold levels of quality, third-party testing is an absolute must.
ACTIVE AND INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
We review all ingredients, both active and inactive to make sure potential customers are purchasing only high-quality CBD products.
When we refer to “active ingredient” we are indicating the CBD levels in the product. The extra components comprising the product are called “inactive ingredients.”
However, because CBD isolate is a purified product, there should be no added ingredients.
Everyone has various needs when it comes to CBD usage. Most of the brands listed here come in multiple sizes to accommodate as many people as possible. Information regarding the amount of CBD must be listed on the label.
VARIETY OF PRICE
When promoting our best-quality CBD products, we prefer to include a wide range of pricing available to suit all budgets. The price of the product will have a direct correlation to the size, volume, serving size, and potency, as well as other additional ingredients.
We prefer to only recommend products that are created using clean, safe extraction methods. There are three common extraction methods when it comes to CBD extraction.
Solvent extraction utilizes butane, propane, ethanol, isopropyl, or alcohol to extract the CBD from the plant. It is the cheapest and quickest method of extraction. This is the most dangerous method of extraction.
The olive oil method of extraction was the first method to be utilized for extracting CBD from the plant. It is a clean and cost-effective method of extraction that heats the raw plant material to a temperature that activates the plant. The main issue with this method is that the olive oil that is now activated with CBD must be kept in a dark and cool area to stay fresh which is an issue with CBD producers.
The most common way of extracting CBD is the CO2 method which is the most expensive method due to the cost of the equipment. This extraction method produces a potent, safe, and chlorophyll-free product.
The following products are CBD Schools’ top seven picks for CBD isolates.
Our 7 recommended cbd isolate products
15% off discount with code TAKE15
High purity CBDelicious CBD-isolate powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- CBDistillery offers only the highest quality pure-hemp CBD-isolates at reasonable prices.
- These powders are derived from GMO-free, organic and U.S. grown hemp.
- The CBD-isolates contain no THC.
- They also offer two types of powders, High Purity CBDelicious CBD-isolate and CBG-isolate.
- They use only natural crude ethanol-extracted CBD and CBG.
- Third-party lab results can be found on the product page, along with a scannable QR code to confirm purity and potency.
- Two CBD-isolate products available
- The powders are often available at sale prices
- They contain zero THC
- Made from organic hemp
- Extracted using natural methods
- The product page features other broad-spectrum products containing terpenes, and may confuse some customers.
- There are numerous reviews of products, but nothing on the CBD-isolate powders.
- High Purity CBDelicious CBD-isolate powder is produced from a concentrated extraction of the hemp plant.
- This powder can be added to food or beverages and is completely tasteless! There is zero THC content in this product, just pure CBD, no other active ingredients.
10% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL
Cycling Frog CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- Comes in three flavors including Lemon Lime, Hawaiian Citrus, and Valencia Orange.
- They utilize a vertically integrated process that delivers high-quality products.
- Their products are affordable.
- They offer reduced prices for veterans and the economically challenged.
- They are considered to be pioneers in the CBD industry with a great track record.
- They are dedicated to maintaining quality and promise high potency products.
- The company believes in sustainability.
- They plan to be carbon neutral by 2030 and to eliminate all non-biodegradable waste. A goal of eliminating carbon emissions by 2040.
- They use all-organic ingredients.
- They support local and national non-profits with donations.
- Cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids are extracted from hemp with cryogenic ethanol and filtered to remove any impurities.
- They have a transparency policy and a certificate of analysis
- Third-part test results can be found on the product page
- Four CBD-isolate options
- Affordable pricing
- Natural extraction methods
- Environmentally conscious
- Third-party tested
- They offer only one CBD-isolate product
- Lazarus Naturals, Cycling Frog CBD-isolate powder is unflavored and can be added to any food or beverage.
- It contains 1,000 mg of CBD per jar and contains zero THC.
- They also offer three other CBD-isolates infused with terpenes, that come in Lemon-Lime, Hawaiian Citrus and Valencia Orange flavors.
- This product is designed to be used in dilutions and formulations, not for individual dosing or consumption.
- Good for anyone who wishes to concoct their own topicals or cooking oils.
15% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL15
Industrial Hemp Farms
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- They use a sophisticated four-part extraction method, eliminating all fats, waxes, and lipids.
- They offer both retail and wholesale pricing.
- They are one of the largest suppliers of hemp flower in the world.
- They are one of the largest distributors of CBD isolate.
- They are in the top 3 worldwide distributors of hemp flowers and extracts.
- Third-party lab results can be found here.
- 2 CBD isolate products available: Powder and Crystal
- Affordable pricing, both retail and wholesale
- Reviews of this company are difficult to find on their site.
Industrial Hemp CBD-isolate powder can be purchased in 1gram and up to 1-kilogram amounts. The powder has a crystalline consistency containing 90% CBD, and has zero THC. It is extracted from organic industrial hemp and is produced and shipped from their Colorado lab.
20% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL20
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- This company is known for using 100% Organic materials.
- Their hemp is grown in the U.S.
- All of their products are third-party tested and come with a Certificate of Analysis. The report can be found here.
- Organic hemp grown in the U.S.
- Third-party tested
- Only one CBD-isolate product available
- Virtually no information about the CBD-isolate product
- Not much information on their site about the company
- No reviews available on their site
- CBD Luxe, CBD-isolate powder CBD isolate product is 100% organic, with zero THC content. Available in one-gram size only.
CBD isolate Bundle
USA GROWN HEMP
- Their products are made from 100% organic materials
- All of their hemp is grown in the U.S.
- The CBD-isolate is made from top quality hemp flower
- Their products are all third-party tested. You can find the lab results here.
- This company often has sales
- Made from top-quality organic hemp flower grown is the U.S.
- Solvent and hexane-free
- Third-party tested
- Not much information available on their site
- Only one CBD-isolate product offered
- No reviews yet
- OC Pharm CBD-Isolate comes in 500mg amounts. It is made from top-quality, organic, U.S. grown hemp flowers.
20% off discount with code AMERICAN20
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- All of their products are organic, and pesticide-free.
- They offer discounts via a Compassionate Care program to veterans and low-income customers.
- They offer a full refund if you are not satisfied with the product within 45 days if purchased from their website.
- All of their hemp is U.S. grown.
- All of their products are third-party lab tested. You can find their lab results here.
- Discounts to low-income customers.
- Money-back guarantee.
- Only one product size available.
- No reviews for this product on their site.
- CBD American Shaman CBD-isolate products are made from non-GMO industrial hemp plants grown in the U.S. using responsible farming techniques and are pesticide-free. Their CBD isolate comes in 1 gram size.
USA GROWN HEMP
- This CBD-isolate powder is Co2-extracted.
- All the products are non-GMO and pesticide-free.
- They offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- All their hemp is grown in the U.S.
- All of their products are third-party tested, however, their CBD isolate doesn’t seem to have a result available. Here’s the page that has all their other lab results.
- Co2 extraction
- GMO and pesticide-free
- Money-back guarantee
- We could not find a certificate of analysis for their CBD isolate, although, all other products results can be found.
- Cheef Botanicals CBD-isolate powders are 99+% pure and made from hemp grown in Colorado, U.S.A.
- The hemp is non-GMO and pesticide-free. This product is ISO tested for potency, solvents, and heavy metals.
- The CBD-isolate is made using supercritical CO2 extraction techniques and is available in 1 gram jars.
How much CBD isolate should I use?
An ideal dosage of CBD isolate powder is highly user-dependent. It can depend upon the person’s state of health and their size as well as what condition they are trying to treat if any. It can also depend on the method of consumption and the time of day at which it is intended for use.
Because CBD affects everyone differently, it’s best to start with a very small dosage and work your way up to a minimum effective dosage over the course of at least a few days. A good starting point is 5mg.
Depending on the use and delivery method, dosages can range from 5mg on up to over 150 mg per serving. It’s a good idea to do some research and see what medical professionals recommend for a specific condition. The most common dosages for non-serious medical conditions fall between 10mg and 50mg.
Keep in mind that CBD is what is known as a bi-phasic active compound. That means that over a certain dosage its effects can actually diminish or it can produce unwanted effects.
Furthermore, some delivery methods have higher bioavailability and faster onset time than others. For example, vaping offers high bioavailability and fast onset time, while edibles offer slow onset time and lower bioavailability; more CBD and more time will be needed to produce the same effect.
It’s always best to discuss dosage with a qualified medical professional.
CBD isolate vs Full-spectrum
As we explained in sections above, full-spectrum CBD contains a spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes. CBD isolate, on the other hand, contains only 99.9 percent pure CBD and nothing else.
How long does CBD isolate last?
The onset time and length of effectiveness of CBD isolate depends on the consumption method. As with most over-the-counter remedies, oral use can be repeated every four hours or so. However, when vaping the dosage can be spread out over a desired period of time.
Although it can take days to fully metabolize CBD, its effects usually last anywhere from an hour to four hours or more.
All CBD products produced from industrial hemp are THC-free and can be purchased online legally in all U.S. states. According to the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp-derived CBD products must contain no more than 0.3% THC on a dry weight basis and most state’s hemp rules follow federal rules. Under FDA rules, CBD makers may not make any medical claims regarding their products.
CBD safety and side effects
The World Health Organization (WHO), has done studies and concluded that naturally occurring CBD is safe for use and well tolerated by humans. There are no reports of overdoses or serious, lasting side effects.
Mild side effects of CBD isolate may include dry mouth, lowered blood pressure, or drowsiness. Used in high dosages, CBD may cause lethargy.
Keep in mind that CBD isolate is 99% pure.
A gram of CBD isolate will typically contain over 990 milligrams of CBD.
This means that for every one milligram of powder, you’re essentially getting one milligram of CBD.
This makes it easier than ever to measure precise dosages and know exactly how much CBD you’re getting every time you use it.
While it might have seemed intimidating at first, there’s nothing to worry about.
CBD isolate is actually one of the most versatile ways to use CBD that exists.
Now that you know exactly what it is and how to use it, you can consider integrating CBD isolate into your regular wellness routine.
Everything You Need to Know About CBD Isolate [Plus 7 Isolate Reviews]
What exactly is CBD isolate? And why is it so beneficial? If you’re looking to make your own CBD products, knowing about CBD isolate is a good place to start.
7 of the Best CBD Pain Cream for Back Pain
Written by Jen Keehn Published November 4, 2020 Whether you suffer from the occasional bout of lower back pain or …
Our 7 Choices for Best CBD Dog Treats
CBD dog treats can assist your faithful partner as they age or deal with stressful situations. We take a look at 7 products we highly recommend trying.
10 of the Best CBD Oil for Sleep Products
Lots of us have sleep issues, according to many studies. CBD oil for sleep is an alternative option that should be considered. Ten excellent options are reviewed.
Our Guide to the 10 Best CBD Oil for Dogs
Does CBD oil work to calm stressed dogs as well as to relieve their pains? This post helps answer that question.
Our Guide to the Best CBD Gummies
Are all CBD gummies the same? How do you know what ones to buy? Follow this guide for help.
Article first appeared on cbdschool.com