Written by Marion Law
Updated November 12, 2020
Of the various ways to consume CBD oil, suppositories are probably the least popular method. CBD suppositories, however, are an extremely beneficial method of delivery.
Until recently, CBD suppositories were virtually unheard of. As the medical cannabis industry grows, more clinical and anecdotal evidence regarding the benefits of cannabidiol (CBD) and its multiple forms of administration are being marketed. CBD suppository, not surprisingly, is at the bottom of the list.
CBD oil suppositories are gaining notoriety as a highly efficient delivery system, whether inserted vaginally or rectally.
In this article, the focus will be mainly on products designed for anal insertion. Some CBD suppositories are not advised for use in the vagina, however, some of the products recommended here claim to be safe for both vaginal and rectal use.
Some suppositories on the market contain THC. Suppositories containing THC are often known as “cannabis” suppositories rather than CBD suppositories. The CBD suppositories mentioned in this article are made from hemp and contain little to no THC.
When using CBD oil suppositories instructions should be carefully followed.
Table of Contents
- What are CBD suppositories?
- What are the benefits of using cannabis suppositories?
- A Brief History of Suppositories
- Who Can Benefit from Cannabis Suppositories
- Our Quick Guide of 4 suppositories
- Product Selection Methodology
- Our Reviews of 4 suppositories to consider
- Foria Wellness
- CBD Living
- Kiskanu Hemp
- How many CBD suppositories should I use?
- How to use CBD suppositories?
- Vaginal CBD suppositories
- How long does a CBD suppository take to work?
- How to make suppositories?
- CBD legality
- CBD safety and side effects
- Are CBD suppositories right for you?
- Related posts
What are CBD suppositories?
CBD suppositories are capsules containing CBD oil that are made to melt at body temperature after being inserted into the rectum or vagina. Once melted, the CBD oil and other active ingredients is easily absorbed into the bloodstream through the lining of the intestine.
CBD oil suppositories are available for both rectal and vaginal use. For all intents and purposes, this article will focus on CBD suppositories formulated for anal insertion. Not all rectal CBD suppositories are recommended for vaginal use. CBD suppositories made for insertion in the vagina contain carriers that are safe for vaginal use.
What are the benefits of using cannabis suppositories?
CBD oil suppositories have certain benefits over other CBD oil products.
For starters, CBD oils made for oral use tend to have a low bioavailability as much of the CBD gets absorbed into the fatty tissues of the stomach and intestines. The CBD and other active ingredients in suppositories, on the other hand, are absorbed directly into the bloodstream via the mucosal linings of the rectum.
Another benefit of CBD suppositories is that they can be used by patients who have trouble swallowing or who can’t swallow at all due to neurodegenerative issues.
A Brief History of Suppositories
According to recorded history, suppositories have been in use for thousands of years. Suppository molds have been discovered in apothecaries that date back to the 12th century. Moreover, the use of cannabis as a healing remedy can be traced back some 5,000 years.
The word “suppository,” derived from the Latin word suppositorum, means “something placed beneath.” This term first showed up in academic literature in the late 1700s and was meant to be a substitute for enemas.
Documentation has been found that suggests that suppositories were used by Ancient Egyptians for easing gastrointestinal issues. It has also been suggested that medical specialists in the Ancient Babylonian culture gave suppositories to patients to treat hemorrhoids.
Another source claims that suppositories were invented independently by North American indigenous people, in pre-Columbus times. A small piece of wood from the dogwood tree was moistened and compressed and inserted rectally for relief of hemorrhoids.
The herbs used in the making of ancient suppositories were originally encased in soap or honey and allowed to harden. Eventually, the soap and honey were replaced with plant oils such as cocoa butter.
Discussion of suppositories and their application is still a taboo subject in many cultures. Interestingly, in spite of the delicate subject matter, suppositories are very popular in France, although the UK population tends to avoid them.
And while suppository use in the US is more widespread, discussing it with others is something some patients will avoid.
Who Can Benefit from Cannabis Suppositories
There are several medical conditions for which individuals choose to use CBD oil suppositories over oral consumption methods. CBD suppositories are commonly used by:
Our Quick Guide of 4 suppositories
10% off discount CBDSCHOOL10
CBD Living Suppositories
20% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Product Selection Methodology
If you’re familiar with CBD, you’re well aware that not all CBD products are created equal. When choosing CBD suppositories it is imperative to choose transparent CBD brands dedicated to quality and safety.
Whether it comes to choosing the best CBD suppositories or any other CBD products we always make sure to keep the following requirements in mind:
REPUTABLE CBD BRANDS
We only choose transparent CBD brands with a solid reputation in the industry. The company must be dedicated to providing high-quality products.
Products must be made from all-natural, non-GMO hemp grown in the US. They must use natural ingredients. The CBD must be extracted using safe methods and be produced using a limited amount of processing.
Non-GMO is defined as a product produced from plants that have not undergone genetic engineering. All ingredients must be non-GMO.
THIRD-PARTY LAB TEST RESULTS
Manufacturers of CBD products must make third-party lab test results available to customers to ensure the cannabinoid levels in the product matches what is claimed on the label.
Products must also be tested to detect the presence of heavy metals, molds, or pesticides.
ACTIVE AND INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
We look at all active and inactive ingredients to ensure our readers are getting the highest quality CBD products available. When possible, we prefer to recommend natural products made without any artificial ingredients. An active ingredient refers to any ingredient that produces a physical effect in the patient.
Each individual has different desires and needs when it comes to using CBD. Some brands offer multiple potencies in their products, others only offer one or two levels of potency.
We search for various products with a range of potencies to meet the needs and desires of as many individuals as possible. However, the CBD suppository brands mentioned in this article ALL offer 50Mg of CBD per suppository.
VARIETY OF PRICE
When we promote products, we prefer to include a wide price range to suit the budgets of all individuals. Prices will vary depending on the volume, potency, serving size, and added ingredients. We attempt to give our readers all the needed information to allow them to make a decision that meets the patient’s specific needs and budget.
We prefer to only recommend products that are created using clean, safe extraction methods.
There are three common extraction methods when it comes to CBD extraction.
Solvent extraction utilizes butane, propane, ethanol, isopropyl, or alcohol to extract the CBD from the plant. It is the cheapest and quickest method of extraction. This is the most dangerous method of extraction because it can leave behind harmful solvent residue.
The olive oil method of extraction was the first method to be utilized for extracting CBD from the plant. It is a clean and cost-effective method of extraction. Raw plant material is added to a carrier oil such as olive oil and heated to a particular temperature for a period of time causing the oils from the hemp flower to infuse into the carrier oil. The main issue with olive oil, however, is that it can go bad easily and must be properly stored in order to maintain freshness. For this reason, most manufacturers that produce infused oils generally use an oil with a longer shelf life such as coconut oil.
The most desirable method of extracting CBD is the supercritical CO2 method. In this method, carbon dioxide is cooled to the point of becoming a liquid. The mixture of CO2 and hemp is further cooled and put under high pressure to facilitate infusion. CO2 is the most expensive method due to the high cost of the required equipment and facilities. However, this extraction method produces a potent, safe, and chlorophyll-free product that contains no harmful solvent residue.
Keeping all this in mind, the following are CBD School’s picks for 4 CBD suppositories available on the market.
Our Reviews of 4 suppositories to consider
10% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL10
Read Our Endoca Brand Review Here
Best Full Spectrum Suppositories
USA GROWN HEMP
- Endoca CBD suppositories are made from full-spectrum, whole-plant hemp extracts.
- They contain only 100% organic ingredients.
- Endoca CBD suppositories are labelled for vaginal or rectal use.
- Endoca’s extraction method maintains full integrity of the CBD.
- All Endoca COA reports can be found here.
- Pure, full-spectrum CBD
- Certified organic
- Clean extraction method
- For both rectal and vaginal use
- May contain traces of THC
- Endoca CBD suppositories are made from completely natural ingredients including certified-organic full-spectrum whole-plant hemp extracts, vitamin D, Omega 3, vitamin E, terpenes, flavonoids, co-nutrients, and co-factors.
- Coconut oil is added for efficient absorption of CBD for gentle insertion.
- Easy to use (anally or vaginally) they are highly efficient in delivering high-quality CBD directly into the bloodstream.
- Endoca CBD suppositories are made using an environmentally-sustainable CO2 extraction process involving low temperatures, ensuring that the full spectrum of beneficial molecules maintains their integrity.
- The suppositories may need 10-15 minutes to take effect and should continue to provide relief for 4-8 hours depending on the individual’s innate chemistry.
- Endoca promises only high-quality testing for heavy metals, mycotoxins, and over 200 different pesticides.
- The products are produced at a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) certified facility and are third-party lab-tested.
Best suppositories for intimacy
Intimacy Suppositories with CBD
USA GROWN HEMP
- Made with organic, non GMO, broad-spectrum CBD.
- A cocoa-butter base is used to ensure easy insertion and absorption.
- These CBD suppositories can be used vaginally or rectally.
- They are safe for oral consumption.
- Foria suppositories are THC-free.
- The company uses sustainable farming techniques.
- They use all recyclable materials in their packaging.
- All of their products come from GMP (Good manufacturing practices) certified facilities.
- COA’s for Foria’s suppositories and other products can be found here.
- 100% organic, non-GMO
- Rectal and vaginal use
- GMP certified facility
- No mention of the extraction process
- Foria’s Intimacy suppositories are made with organic, broad-spectrum CBD with a cocoa-butter base.
- They contain no additives, fragrances, alcohol, petroleum-based ingredients, phthalates, glycerin, parabens, dyes, or anything synthetic.
- They can be used vaginally or rectally.
- The suppositories are gluten-free, vegan, and safe for oral consumption.
- Their hemp is USDA certified organic, non-GMO, and regeneratively-grown without the use of pesticides.
- Their packaging uses only recyclable, eco-conscious, minimal plastic.
Best Water Soluble Nano Technology
USA GROWN HEMP
- The water-soluble nanotechnology give the product high bioavailability.
- CBD Living suppositories are made from 100% organic U.S.- grown hemp.
- The ingredients are all non GMO and THC-free.
- CBD Living’s suppositories COA can be found here.
- 100% organic, non-GMO
- U.S.-grown hemp
- Clean extraction method
- Some reviews claim not enough CBD per suppository.
- CBD Living suppositories are made from 100% organic hemp grown in U.S. state-licensed farms, guaranteed to be GMO and THC-free.
- The suppositories contain proprietary broad-spectrum nano hemp extract.
- CBD Living in-house scientists utilize a proprietary water-soluble nano technology.
- This process enables the CBD to be broken down into nanoparticles, which allows it to be dissolved in water and therefore easily enters the bloodstream.
Best vaginal suppositories
USA GROWN HEMP
- All of their ingredients are organic.
- The suppositories contain coconut oil for easy absorption and insertion.
- The company uses recyclable packaging materials and minimal plastics.
- The website makes it easy to find the COA (Certificate of Analysis), which can be found here.
- 100% organic, non-GMO
- Rectal and vaginal use
- Made with coconut oil
- COA was easy to find
- Extraction method not mentioned on site
- No reviews available
- Kiskanu CBD suppositories are made from broad-spectrum U.S.-grown organic hemp CBD, cold-pressed coconut oil, and calendula.
- They use minimal plastic and their packaging is reusable or recyclable.
- The website makes it easy to find the COA and the products are third-party lab-tested.
- They can be used vaginally or rectally.
How many CBD suppositories should I use?
For starters, it’s always a good idea to discuss an optimal dosage with a medical professional who is knowledgeable in the use of CBD suppositories. Additionally, following the instructions on each product page regarding the dosage is always a good idea.
Some CBD suppository products have roughly 20-25mg of CBD. The products mentioned in this article all contain 50mg of CBD per suppository. This amount may be too much for someone just beginning a CBD-based protocol. For this reason, cutting the suppository in half is sometimes recommended to assure the patient experiences no unwanted side effects such as lethargy.
The ideal dosage will vary from patient to patient. It’s prudent to begin with a smaller amount and observe the reaction. When ingesting CBD products patients should use the minimal amount that produces the desired effect. Dosages that are too small will not solve the problem and end up going to waste. Dosages that are too high might produce unwanted effects. Furthermore, CBD is a biphasic compound. That means that over a certain dosage its effects can actually diminish or change.
How to use CBD suppositories?
CBD suppositories are most efficient when they have a firm consistency. It is best to store them in the fridge or freezer to maintain their shape and firmness.
To insert a rectal CBD suppository, a patient should lie down sideways and pull their knees up to their chest. Insert the suppository into the rectum with the index finger, with the pointed end inserted first. The suppository should be inserted 2.5cm to 4cm in order to reach behind the inner anal sphincter. Patients should be sure to wash their hands after insertion.
In order to avoid the suppository slipping out of the anal cavity, the muscles of the buttocks should be clenched together, while flexing the inner muscles of the anus for approximately 3-4 seconds.
It’s important to stay lying down sideways for at least 2-3 minutes. Keep in mind, that fluid may leak mildly from the rectum for a couple of hours.
Because of this, the best time to use a cannabis suppository is before bed or when the patient has time to lay down and take it easy.
Vaginal CBD suppositories
Not all suppositories are safe for vaginal use. The products mentioned in this article are labeled for both rectal and vaginal usage.
It is imperative to read instructions on the packaging, as some CBD suppositories are for RECTAL use ONLY. Some compounds in rectal suppositories may cause an unpleasant reaction if used vaginally. Be sure to read all instructions on the packaging to determine if the product is safe for vaginal insertion.
Using a finger or tampon applicator, insert the CBD suppository into the vagina as deeply as possible. To help the CBD oil come in contact with cervical and uterine tissue, place a cushion under the buttocks and remain in the position for around 5 minutes.
How long does a CBD suppository take to work?
CBD oil suppositories generally take up to 30 minutes to begin taking effect. Some individuals may feel the effects after 15 minutes.
When using a homemade CBD suppository, remember that the base will melt rapidly after contact with the skin.
How to make suppositories?
CBD oil suppositories can be made at home. However extreme care should be used to keep all the ingredients clean. Hands and utensils used in making CBD suppositories at home should be thoroughly washed beforehand.
To make rectal CBD oil suppositories at home, follow these instructions:
- CBD Oil
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
What else you’ll need
- Ice tray with pop-out cubes, ideally circular
- Stir stick
- Melt the coconut oil if necessary by placing a container of oil in a pot of hot water.
- Fill the bottoms of the ice tray reservoirs with approximately 1/8 inch of oil.
- Add the desired amount of CBD oil into each reservoir using a measured dropper and stir gently.
- Place ice tray into the freezer for 1 to 2 hours
- Keep homemade suppositories in the freezer.
- When administered, they can be cut into smaller sizes/doses.
Note that because homemade suppositories melt very quickly, it’s best to use them while laying down for an extended period of time.
Hemp, the cannabis crop from which over-the-counter CBD oil is extracted was legalized by the federal government at the end of 2018. Along with hemp, the production of hemp extracts such as full-spectrum CBD oil and CBD isolate were also made legal for production and sale.
Under the 2018 Farm Bill, the regulation of hemp and CBD was put into the hands of the states. Each state has its own plan which must be approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Although certain products may not be produced or sold in certain states, such as smokable flower, pretty much all hemp-derived products, including CBD oil suppositories, can easily be purchased online.
Furthermore, purchasing a product that may not be produced or sold in the state does not put the buyer at risk of breaking cannabis possession laws. The responsibility is on local CBD shops to know which products they can and cannot sell.
CBD products produced from marijuana that contain more than 0.3% THC may only be sold at state-licensed dispensaries.
Hemp crops and any products produced from hemp are required to contain less than 0.3% THC under Federal law.
CBD safety and side effects
CBD oil is among the safest of natural herbal remedies. CBD is completely non-toxic, non-habit forming, and non-intoxicating. Studies have shown that humans are able to easily tolerate high doses of CBD without any severe or lasting side effects.
Mild side effects of CBD oil might include drowsiness and lethargy, dry mouth, or diarrhea (usually attributable to the quality and contents of the product).
Regardless of its safety, it’s best to begin using CBD in small doses of 5 to 10 milligrams depending on the patient’s size. This dosage can be ramped up over the course of a few days or a week until a dosage is reached that produces the desired effects.
The idea is to use the minimum amount of CBD for optimum relief. In most cases, there is a limit over which no additional benefits are experienced and over which higher doses just waste the patient’s money.
Another reason to start with a small dosage is that many CBD products have additional ingredients, some of which might not be well tolerated by the patient. For example, some patients have allergic reactions to certain terpenes.
Are CBD suppositories right for you?
When pondering the best delivery method for CBD, it’s wise to explore all options. Cannabis suppositories may be the solution for certain individuals.
For example, some elderly people can no longer manage to swallow their medications in pill form. Other individuals suffering from cancer may be going through chemo and experiencing chronic nausea and vomiting making it impossible to keep anything down, or perhaps they are about to undergo surgery and can’t ingest any solids.
Suppositories may seem like an incredibly awkward way of ingesting CBD, due to the many taboos surrounding this delicate part of the anatomy. This method has many benefits that should be considered before negating it. CBD suppositories are one of the most efficient ways to experience CBD’s healing properties.
CBD for Epilepsy, Is It Effective? The Latest Research [Includes Q&A with Dr. Patel]
What do research studies say about the effectiveness of CBD for epilepsy? We took a deep dive into this new treatment option. Read about it here.
Why Are People Sticking CBD Up Their Butt? Everything You Always Wanted To Know About CBD Suppositories [Updated Nov. 2020]
CBD suppositories are used by those who can’t swallow pills or take CBD by any other form. Suppositories allow the CBD to reach your bloodstream at a higher concentration. [Plus 4 Suppository Recommendations]
Everything You Need to Know About CBD Isolate [Plus 7 Isolate Reviews]
What exactly is CBD isolate? And why is it so beneficial? If you’re looking to make your own CBD products, knowing about CBD isolate is a good place to start.
Can’t Afford CBD? [CBD Financial Assistance Programs]
Written by Jen Keehn Published September 5, 2018 [Updated November 2020] As beneficial as CBD is, not everyone who …
CBD for Sleep, Is It Effective? The Latest Research [Includes Q&A with Dr. Patel]
What do research studies say about the effectiveness of CBD for sleep? We took a deep dive into this new treatment option. Read about it here.
CBD for Chronic Pain, Is It Effective? The Latest Research [Includes Q&A with Dr. Patel]
Written and Q&A by Dr. Rachna Patel Published October 27, 2020 Over 20% of adults in the United States suffer …
Article first appeared on cbdschool.com